Monday, February 22, 2010

darlingtonia

 

A little about Darlingtonia:

My name is Katie & I make moccasins among other things.

After growing tired of the a handful of drab moccasin choices on the market I set off to create stylish, fun and functional moccasins I wanted to wear. With my accumulated crafting, sewing and design knowledge I created Darlingtonia Moccasin Company & the moccasins you see here.

I make each pair of Darlingtonia Moccasins entirely by hand, leather is cut, holes are punched, and physical effort is exerted while using a completely manual antique Singer 29k sewing machine equipped with a foot treadle (but most of the time I just use the hand crank). After cutting, sewing, adhering, and lacing the fun begins as embellishments are added.

Darlingtonia Moccasin Company is named after: Darlingtonia Californica - also called the California Pitcher plant, Cobra Lily, or Cobra Plant, is a carnivorous plant, the sole member of the genus Darlingtonia in the family Sarraceniaceae. (thanks Wikipedia)

I am a photographer by trade, I earned a BFA in fine art photography from the Academy of Art University in San Francisco where I specialized in large format photography, wet-plate collodion (glass plate negatives & tintypes) & other antique photographic processes.

When I am not making moccasins I can be found blogging, tweeting, knitting, sewing garments, printmaking, sketching & on occasion standing behind my behemoth 8x10 camera.
  I discovered Katie and her lovely shop on Etsy and I fell in love with her moccasins. 
With such a beautiful spectrum of colors and original designs, what's not to love?

1 comments:

Katie said...

whoa! love these.